Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Boleyn Wife / The Tudor Wife, Brandy Purdy / Emily Purdy -- Why The Name Change?




It has been brought to my attention that my UK publisher's decision to change both the title of my second novel and my own first name is causing some confusion and misconceptions so I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the matter.

First of all, the novel in question, known as The Boleyn Wife by Brandy Purdy in the USA and The Tudor Wife by Emily Purdy in the UK started out as a self-published, print-on-demand book that was published by iuniverse under the title of Vengeance Is Mine. This edition was withdrawn from publication when Kensington bought the rights. Besides giving my book professional editing and allowing me to revise and add additional content, they also decided to change the title, thus it became The Boleyn Wife. When Harper/Avon UK purchased the rights for a British edition, they also decided that a name change was warranted. Since Harper also publishes the works of Philippa Gregory, who has written two novels with the name Boleyn in the title, they changed the title of my book to The Tudor Wife to avoid confusion with hers.

As for my own name, Brandy Purdy is my real name, however, for cultural and marketing reasons, Harper/Avon deemed it wise to change my first name. Apparently Brandy lacks Brit appeal, at least where historical fiction is concerned. The marketing department decided that a more traditional English name like Emily would be more appropriate. And I've never been overly fond of Brandy myself, so...

However, there has been some speculation online that this change is intended as a makeover, to conceal my true identity and the existence of my first novel, The Confession of Piers Gaveston, and previous incarnations of the book that has caused all this. This is definitely not the case. As a reader--and I was a reader long before I was a writer--more than once I have had the annoying experience of buying a book only to discover that I had already read it under a different title, so I have always tried to make it very clear on both my website, www.brandypurdy.com, and this blog that a work of mine is available under different titles.


Thank you for reading this. I hope I have been able to end the confusion and satisfy any curiosity about this matter.




No comments: