Sunday, October 10, 2010

Voodoo Season A Marie Laveau Mystery by Jewell Parker Rhodes


This is the first book in a New Orleans' mystery trilogy about Dr. Marie Levant, the great-great -granddaughter of the famous (or infamous) 19th century Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau.



A doctor practicing in modern day New Orleans at Charity Hospital, where the poor, needy, and uninsured come for care, Marie Levant denies and resists the gifts of power and "the sight" that are her blood heritage until a series of murders that strangely echo the Quadroon Balls of yesteryear force her to accept and embrace who and what she is and make a stand against evil.



As usual when reviewing mysteries, I would rather say less than too much as I don't want to give too much away and spoil the book for anyone. Although I must admit there was one aspect of the mystery that forms the centerpiece of this novel that I still find difficult to understand, which nags at my mind whenever I think about it, I still enjoyed the book and plan to continue with the series. The characters Ms. Rhodes has created are all interesting people, with their real life struggles and imperfections, good points and bad, and I look forward to getting to know them better in the next two books.

Though not essential for enjoying or understanding this book, I would highly recommend reading the author's earlier novel Voodoo Dreams, a historical novel inspired by the life of the legendary New Orleans Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau as events in that book are referred to several times in this one. It was a novel I read years ago and enjoyed and hope to eventually read again.




1 comment:

librarypat said...

I'll have to check out both of these books.