Sunday, October 10, 2010

Yellow Moon by Jewell Parker Rhodes


This is the second volume in Ms. Rhodes trilogy about the great-great-granddaughter of New Orleans Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau.


It is three years after the events described in the first book (Voodoo Season) and Dr. Marie Levant has taken her ancestor's name, Marie Laveau, and embraced her voodoo heritage with strength and pride. This time she must conjure up all her power and might to face down an African vampire, a wazimamoto, that is draining New Orleans' citizens of their life's blood and is out to destroy everyone Marie holds dear.


Though I will continue to see the trilogy through to the end, I must admit that I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as I did the first. I sometimes find it difficult to review mysteries, it's a delicate balance, as I do not want to ruin the story for other readers by giving too much away. But I don't want to give a wrong impression about this book either. The central mystery, the African vampire, was a fascinating adversary for Marie Laveau, blending folklore and history into a modern-day tale and giving new blood to the eternally popular vampire, but...STOP HERE AND DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS! I as a reader was disappointed that almost all the characters I met and liked in the first book were killed off in this one, including the dog. Perhaps the author felt they had served the purpose she created them for, or, losing people is part of life, we shall have to wait for the third book and see what is in store for this modern day voodooienne.



1 comment:

librarypat said...

I haven't read many vampire books. I may check into this series. We will be heading to New Orleans in March and the Marie Laveau legend is a big part of the city's story.