Sunday, June 2, 2013

Child’s Play by Carmen Posadas




Luisa Davila, the author of a successful an mystery series featuring a sexy Latin Americcrime solving psychoanalyst, lives a comfortable life in Spain with her twelve-year-old daughter, Elba.

Elba, who is named after the island where Luisa went on a “mating trip” in response to the urgent ticking of her biological clock when she was forty, is about to start the new school year at the same private school her mother attended, where a young boy, a friend of Luisa’s, died under mysterious circumstances. This incident is very much on Luisa’s mind as she pens her latest mystery, so when her daughter, and the offspring of two of Luisa’s classmates, is involved in an accident at the school, she has to wonder if history is repeating itself, or if it is all a strange coincidence.

Although this was a short book, less than 300 pages, it seemed much longer and a very slow read to me. Most of the time I can fly through a book of this length in a day or two depending on what is going on, but this one I was able to put down for days at a time without regret or even thinking about it, I just couldn’t really get into it. However, I want to emphasize, this may have just been me, so if you’re at all intrigued by the plot I urge you to read a few more reviews or see if there’s a sample chapter available at Amazon. I was reading this while going through a very difficult time in my life and that may have influenced my lack of enjoyment or involvement in the story.

No comments: